Tramping (Backpacking) Menu Planner Ideas
This post appeared on Sophie's blog here
When I was planning and packing for my first ever tramping trip (out of school), I was trying to decide what to take to eat for my 3 day planned trip... of course I had a wee google and browsed a few websites, most of all didn't help me to much with my one meal i was struggling with thinking of healthy, non-perishable, doesn't bruised easily (goodbye banana's, apple.. all fruit!), doesn't take up much space food and won't get squashed... basically limiting what I can take ALOT. So I did more research and use my own knowledge, search my pantry and went shopping, duh. This is the basic's of the meal plan I will be taking with me.
Oats made into porridge for a longer sustaining energy release + handful of nuts & seeds (almonds, brazil, cashews, pumpkin, sunflower etc)
- Peanut butter, honey and tortillas, wraps (gluten free)
- Crackers and cheese (I got the most amazing cumin cheese from the Hawkes Bay farmers before which was perfect for my walk and added lots of flavour!) - I use these at cracker because they are so damn good!!
- Protein bars - homemade or I find it easier using prepackaged ones because they really hold together and don't crumble. i.e. Quest Bars.
- Freeze dry organic meals from Radix, (kiwi company) - www.radixnutrition.com
- - Great range of flavours
- - Sizes: medium, small and large
- Homemade trail mix of nuts, seeds and dried fruits
- Oat crackers
- Muesli or protein bars
About the Author: Sophie MacKenzie is a Double World Rowing Champion & Olympian hailing from New Zealand, who moonlights as a qualified personal trainer, yoga instructor, & health coach. Follow Sophie's journey to Tokyo 2020 on Instagram, Twitter and online.