"Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, I’m not really the best chef in the world, so I like to keep things simple. Avocado smash with poached eggs, bacon on Rye bread is my ideal breakfast at the moment.
It’s got everything in there you need before training or a competition, you’ve got protein in the eggs, good fats in the avocado... sometimes I am naughty and have it with bread, but usually I’ll go without; as an athlete, I’ll try and avoid “white” food as much as possible i.e. white bread.
My diet is really heavy on protein; in the summer, there’s a lot of power & strength training because when I’m competing I’m done within 60-90 seconds. In my sport, you have to have a high strength & power element to your training.
I really like my bacon crispy, so it’s always the first thing to go on when I’m making this meal.
I was quite late to the party when it comes to avocado, because if you look at it in purely a calorie-content way, it just seems far too much. But it is just full of good-fats, and that is so important alongside your protein, when you are training in pre-season.
Everything about this recipe, is to make things as easy as possible for myself. I do not always have time to create a big meal, so if I can cut down prep time I will. So my own secret trick to poaching eggs, in a little bowl, you can make a “pouch”, so over a small bowl place some Clingfilm & pour a tiny little bit of oil into it (so the eggs don’t stick), crack an egg into it, tie it off & pop it in boiling water for 4 minutes & viola! I quite like my eggs a bit runny, so you can always leave them in a little longer.
A breakfast like this is something I would have a couple of hours before I compete; because I compete up a mountain, there is a lot of travel time and waiting around, I mean it takes me 20 minutes just to put my kit on! You don’t want anything too heavy, or filling.
I love a full plate, so you can really pack in the food with this one; garnish with spinach, or tomatoes".
We were incredibly lucky to be joined by the 7 x British Ski Cross champion Emily Sarsfield, who served up an incredible pre-competition brunch. Watch Emily make the meal herself below...
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 1 x Lime
- 4 Eggs
- 4 x Bacon rashers
- Chilli flakes
- Rye bread
1. Pop your Lean Meat London bacon under the grill (cook for as long as required to get the desired crispy-ness).
2. Bring a saucepan of water to a simmer.
3. Over a small bowl, spread some clingfilm.
4. Onto the clingfilm, add a splash of This is Good Macadamia Nut oil & crack the egg onto it.
5. Wrap the egg & oil in the clingfilm, creating a little pouch.
6. Scoop the flesh out of the avocado.
7. Toast the bread.
8. Mash the Avocado, add in the chilli flakes, lime juice, salt & pepper.
9. Add the eggs in the clingfilm to the water for 4 minutes.
10. Serve the avocado on the toast, add the eggs and bacon.